Resources for Data Contributors
1. Download Most Recent Version of Phenex
Phenex was developed by Phenoscape for annotation of evolutionary phenotypes. You can find instructions for downloading and installing Phenex at the Phenex homepage.
2. Access Project Files
Phenoscape project files are XML files (more specifically, they are in NeXML format) created using Phenex and housed in a subversion-controlled data repository. Please read the Data Repository Access InstructionsiInstructions for accessing the data repository if you are interested in perusing or adding to them.
You can download publication PDFs and powerpoint posters of the TAO and PATO ontologies by connecting to the Phenoscape file share.
Connecting in MAC OS X
- In finder > Go > Connect to Server
- Type in https://ftp.nescent.org/[sharename] . For example, https://ftp.nescent.org/phenoscape-data
- Accept security warning about certificate
- enter username and password (ask a Phenoscaper)
Connecting in Windows XP
- Go to "My Network Places"
- Add a Network Place (pulls up wizard)
- Click Next twice
- In internet or Network address box, type in https://ftp.nescent.org/phenoscape-data/
- Note: (there is a bug in MS implementation of webdav client. In fact, Internet explorer and this method use two different means of connecting to webdav. go figure. Therefore, you must suffix the URL with the pound sign as a workaround to the bug.
- Accept certificate warning, if given.
- Give the share a meaningful name. Default is usually fine.
4. Use Ontologies to Annotate Characters
The primary activity of a curator is to annotate the free-text characters from systematic studies using ontologies. Instructions for this activity can be found in the Phenoscape Guide to Character Annotation.
5. Update Taxon Lists
Most project files require a taxonomic expert to review the taxonomy used in a publication and update to reflect current taxonomy. Please see instructions for updating taxon lists.
6. Request New Terms for Ontologies
Curation drives ontology development and many new terms and relationships need to be added. For instructions on how to make these changes, please and see the Term Request Instructions.