Resources for Data Contributors
- 1 1. Download Most Recent Version of Phenex
- 2 2. Access Project Files
- 3 3. Download PDFs and Ontology Posters as Needed on Phenoscape Fileshare
- 4 4. Use Ontologies to Annotate Characters
- 5 5. Update Taxon Lists
- 6 6. Request New Terms for Ontologies
- 7 7. Subscribe to Curator Mailing Lists
1. Download Most Recent Version of Phenex
Phenex was developed by Phenoscape for annotation of evolutionary phenotypes. You can find instructions for downloading and installing Phenex at the Phenex homepage.
2. Access Project Files
Phenoscape project files are XML files (more specifically, they are in NeXML format) created using Phenex and housed in a subversion-controlled data repository. Please read the Instructions for accessing the data repository if you are interested in perusing or adding to them.
You can download publication PDFs and powerpoint posters of the TAO and PATO ontologies by connecting to the Phenoscape file share. Please ask a Phenoscaper for the username and password.
Mac OS X
- In finder > Go > Connect to Server
- Type in https://webdav.nescent.org/phenoscape-data
- Accept security warning about certificate
- enter username and password
- Go to "My Network Places"
- Add a Network Place (pulls up wizard)
- Click Next twice
- In internet or Network address box, type in https://webdav.nescent.org/phenoscape-data
- Accept certificate warning, if given.
- Give the share a meaningful name. Default is usually fine.
4. Use Ontologies to Annotate Characters
The primary activity of a curator is to annotate the free-text characters from systematic studies using ontologies. Instructions for this activity can be found in the Phenoscape Guide to Character Annotation.
5. Update Taxon Lists
Most project files require a taxonomic expert to review the taxonomy used in a publication and update to reflect current taxonomy. Please see instructions for updating taxon lists.
6. Request New Terms for Ontologies
Curation drives ontology development and many new terms and relationships need to be added. For instructions on how to make these changes, please and see the Term Request Instructions.
7. Subscribe to Curator Mailing Lists
- Phenoscape Curators mailing list (for discussion and communication of data curation issues, solutions, and progress): http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/phenoscape-curators
- Teleost Anatomy ontology term discussion: List subscription and archives | email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Discussion of EQ formalism, phenotype description, PATO terms: List subscription and archives | email: email@example.com